Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

I was honestly uninspired to write anything today. I'm a day away from my week vacation from work (taking off Thursday-Wednesday) and I've been taking care of my sick fiance. It wasn't until watching Modern Marvels on the history channel that made me decide to quickly write about the book I am reading. The book is In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.
The episode of Modern Marvels, Fast Food Tech. The entire time I was completely grossed out by how the burgers look pre-cooked, the handling of the food behind the scenes, the look of the sauces being squeezed onto burgers. Yuck!
During my lunch break I went to grab a tea and yogurt. One co-worker (who was sipping on a soda from Burger King) said to me "that's why you are so small, you can actually eat healthy!" I just mentioned the book I was reading and made her think about this..."Look at a carrot under a microscope and it would still look good enough to eat. Then look at a burger from McDonald's under a microscope." She then gave this nasty look. My response "Exactly." I want to get a copy of the episode I just watched on Modern Marvels, maybe even grab a copy of Super Size Me and play them for my co-workers that depend on the local fast food restaurants or a quick lunch.
Seriously read the book above though. It's amazing and will make you think about what you're putting in your belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment